Scope of Program
The OnGoing Recovery Program is an extension of the Westminster House residential Primary Care Program. It is necessary in providing a full continuum of care to clients seeking an exit to the cycle of addiction.
The OnGoing Recovery Program is focused on long term sustainable recovery. This improves social outcomes for women, who have been chronic substance abusers.
Long term recovery has a positive impact on families and communities, reaching the criminal justice system, heath care system and social services. The On-Going Recovery Program will bridge the gap between Primary Care treatment and reintegration back into society.
Ongoing recovery component is what holds everything clients learned in treatment into practical use. When you leave treatment initially it’s different. You’re making decisions on your own, traveling alone and you have to be accountable.
The transition is they key piece for long term recovery. Having somewhere to be accountable to, feeling supported, working, and most important having a safe environment to utilize. The relapse prevention program allows clients to be solution focused and look at areas of their life before the physical relapse happened.
1. Sober Living Residence
- Housing offered after a minimum of 90 days in Westminster House residential Primary Care
2. Peer to Peer Support
- Mentoring a woman in residential treatment
- Staying connected to her peers within her support group
3. Eight (8) Week After Care Program
- On-Going Recovery Group focuses on Relapse Prevention every Thursday
- Modified meal program
- Wellness – Yoga, Acupuncture, Zumba, Qigong
Women who complete the 8 week program are eligible for a $200 education bursary and the chance to apply for the Women Do Recover Award of Distinction for up to $5,000 for education at Douglas College. To read more about The Women Do Recover Award of Distinction click HERE
4. Education and Training Programs
- Attend post-secondary/continuing education with the goal of receiving certification that ultimately will help the client gain employment
- Career exploration program
- Work Experience
5. Volunteer Program
- Westminster House volunteer program provides opportunity to get back into the work force while receiving small honorariums
- Program participants can sit on committee’s and have a creative voice
- Volunteer opportunities in the community of New Westminster for community events
6. Social Model of Recovery – 12 Step Recovery Program
- Attend a minimum of four 12 step meetings per week
- Maintain a working relationship with a sponsor
The On-Going Recovery Program provides relapse prevention and a continued supportive environment that includes structured programming, and accountability to one’s peers and support group. This will assist in making positive changes to environment and develop marketable skills to gain meaningful employment.